Regarding the representation for the placement of privately contracted armed security personnel (PCASP) on board Maltese ships, Transport Malta would like to advise that although firearms are prohibited on board Maltese ships; this administration is considering all the factors of the situation concerning the issue with due diligence even in the light of MSC.1/Circ 1405 and MSC.1/Circ 1406.
It would therefore be opportune that applications are made on a case by case basis with risk assessments for particular voyages considering the vulnerabilities of the ship, after the implementation of the BMP in it’s up to date version, for determining the engagement of PCASP.
The hereunder details are required by this administration to be able to consider an application.
1) An undertaking that the ship owner, operator, and the master have considered and applied the provisions of MSC.1/Circ. 1405
2) Voyage specific risk assessment of the vulnerability of the ship determining the requirement to engage PCASP,
3) An undertaking that the provisions of the BMP in it’s up to date version will be implemented on board in it’s entirety,
4) Details of the cargo on board,
5) Company registration details of the Private Maritime Security Company providing the PCASP
6) Details relating to the security personnel to be employed and related training (one person shall have recognised trauma medical qualification)
7) Details of firearms and ammunition to be carried on board. The consent of this administration shall become null and void if the necessary import/export procedures and documentation of coastal and port states are not satisfied,
8) The ship can take onboard additional persons in terms of life saving appliances and accommodation,
9) The security personnel being employed, have successfully completed the four elements of basic training, namely:
• Personal survival techniques (STCW A-VI/1-1);
• Fire fighting and fire prevention (STCW A-VI/1-2);
• Elementary first aid (STCW A-VI/1-3); and
• Personal safety and social responsibility (STCW A-VI/1- 4).
10)Maritime knowledge and experience of team leader,
11)Confirmation that both the ship owner’s and PMSC insurance cover mitigate all issues referred in point 3.1 of the Annex of MSC.1/Circ.1405,
12)Details of the voyage plan requiring the employment of PCASP with their dis/embarkation plan detail,
13)Rules of engagement,
14)A clear statement that the master shall remain in command and have overriding authority at all times,
Applications will be considered on a case by case basis.
For further details, contact us on:
Tel: (00356) 21 651387
Fax: (00356) 21 651384
Email: [email protected]
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.